can't sleep quotes
When you can't sleep quotes
Anxiety, stress, and depression all affect your sleep in countless ways. From insomnia to waking up often to not being able to sleep in, the effects of mental health struggles on your sleep are great. Alongside these 100 sleep quotes, I have left multiple sleep tips to help you stop being tired.
Here is 100 Can’t sleep quotes plus tips to get better sleep.
In this blog, I am going to share with you why sleep is so important for your mental health and how to create an evening routine to help you sleep better. Finally, I will share with you 101 can’t sleep quotes that will connect with your sleepless nights.
Do you struggle to fall or stay asleep? If sleeplessness happens on a nightly basis for you, you may have a sleep disorder like insomnia. However, there are a ton of factors that can prevent you from sleeping well or enough. It could be that you are going through a stressful time or major life change or experiencing heightened anxiety levels. In this case, these sleep struggles might not happen every night, but that doesn’t make them any less distressing.
Not being able to fall asleep is one of the most frustrating things in the world. The more hours and minutes that tick by, the more you start to stress about the impact it will have on the day ahead. It becomes even harder to sleep at that point as you think about how you are going to focus through work or school.
As you struggle to get through a day following a sleepless night, it’s hard not to think about anything except for sleep. You might constantly catch yourself thinking, what do I need to do to make sure I get to sleep tonight? Even though you don’t mean to, the more you do this, the more sleep becomes this stressful, unattainable thing that you try to force. Or to paraphrase one of my favorite can’t sleep quotes below, “insomnia is not just a state of sleeplessness….it is a state of longing”.
As if a lack of sleep doesn’t already cause enough harm to your physical and mental health, it can lead you to develop some pretty unhealthy habits. Even if all you are trying to do is take care of yourself, doubling up on sleep aids isn’t the answer.
Instead, despite all our situations being unique, the answer is almost always found in areas of our lives that we have yet to address and take care of. I know this because I have struggled too. Starting with some helpful information then wrapping it up with 10o can’t sleep quotes, I put together this blog to bring various vital elements to light and help you see this through.
Create an evening routine for sleep and mental health
We wake up, start a new day, go to bed to end the day, then wake up and start again. It is all we’ve ever known. We read inspiring quotes or can’t sleep quotes that say something along the lines of, “tomorrow is a new day” or “tomorrow we have the chance to start over.” While I don’t intend to dispute the truth or encouragement behind statements like these, they are part of the reason we all experience such a disconnect between our evenings and mornings. It’s not just your morning routine that sets the pace for the day ahead – it’s the night before.
There is so much value in building an evening routine with your mental health in mind. The reason for this is this routine is not just about helping you to fall asleep. The underlying goal is to address those mental health needs that are affecting your sleep.
Every healthy habit you add or adjustment you make to your evening routine, no matter how small, adds up to help make significant changes. Imagine if you stopped drinking caffeine an hour earlier than you do now and swapped out social media or work emails on your phone for a book just before falling asleep. Do you think your mind would be much calmer?
Importance of sleep for mental health
If exercise is a habit of yours (and I hope it is), then you likely already know that as you sleep, your muscles repair and recover. This critical rest is what makes it possible for your muscles not just to stay strong but for your body to perform daily functions.
The importance of sleep doesn’t just apply to your body – your brain is no different. And even though your brain never really rests, it undergoes certain processes that it can only do while you sleep.
As you sleep, your brain consolidates memories and processes information. A sleep-starved brain can contribute to false memories, anger, impaired concentration and decision-making abilities, and mood fluctuations, to name a few. This is where having a mental health nighttime routine can help. Incorporating habits like journaling and meditation are extremely beneficial to ease your mind before bed. If you are new to meditation and looking for guided help this review on Calm vs Headspace is a great place to start.
You might already notice changes in your cognitive functioning and emotional health after missing just one night of sleep. When sleeplessness persists and turns into days, it can take a serious toll on your mental health.
If you find yourself tossing and turning all night, this lack of sleep can make your world ten times more difficult to manage. Not only because sleeplessness can exacerbate your symptoms but because your altered mental state and emotional and cognitive abilities make it harder to address these symptoms.
If it gets to the point where things aren’t improving on your own, therapy is a tremendous resource to consider. Sleep troubles due to conditions like anxiety are highly common. If your unsure of what to say at your first therapy session, don’t worry, this blog will help you navigate what to say at your first therapy session.
Any experienced therapist should be able to help you through treatment. Through therapy, you might address the importance of sleep in your life and the impact it’s had. A therapist can walk you through techniques and help you get to the root of your sleep struggles.
That said, you don’t have to wait until things get worse. You might learn something valuable in therapy that you can do before bed to improve your overall mental health and sleep right now. In the meantime, I want to leave you with a variety of can’t sleep quotes.
100 Can't Sleep Quotes
These quotes about sleep are here to help you welcome a sense of ease and lightheartedness. Some may even make you smile or even laugh. Most importantly, I hope that reading all these can’t sleep quotes reminds you that you are not alone in this.
- “The loneliest thing in the world is lying awake beside someone asleep.”― Rebecca Makkai
- “I prefer insomnia to anesthesia.” — Antonio Tabucchi
- “Insomnia is only mind over mattress.” — Jane Ace
- “Sleeplessness comes when my thoughts outweigh the night.” — Terri Guillemets
- “Insomnia is a gross feeder. It will nourish itself on any kind of thinking, including thinking about not thinking.” — Clifton Fadiman
- “The best cure for insomnia is a Monday morning.” — Unknown
- “A little insomnia is not without its value in making us appreciate sleep, in throwing a ray of light upon that darkness.”― Marcel Proust
- “Whoever says sleep equals laziness is probably a bitter insomniac.” – Joyce Rachelle
- “Sleep is such a luxury, which I can’t afford.” — Robin Sikarwaro
- “Look on the bright side insomniacs, at least your insomnia keeps most of the spiders out of your mouth.” — Unknown
- “I think insomnia is a sign that a person is interesting.” ― Avery Sawyer
- “The scary thing about having insomnia is not the hours lost for sleeping but the re-run of thoughts you’ve been trying to forget.” — Unknown
- “Sleeplessness is a desert without vegetation or inhabitants.” — Jessalyn West
- “Insomnia, then, is not just a state of sleeplessness, a matter of negatives. It involves the active pursuit of sleep. It is a state of longing.” ― Marina Benjamin
- “You are the biggest enemy of your own sleep.” — Pawan Mishra
- “My eyelids are heavy, but my thoughts are heavier.” — Unknown
- “I’m an insomniac, my mind works the night shift.” — Pete Wentz
- “Insomnia can be a gift. More time for reading, writing and walking. More time to live.” ― Luigina Sgarr
- “The worst thing in the world is to try to sleep and not to.” — F. Scott Fitzgerald
- “Life is something that happens when you can’t get to sleep.” — Fran Lebowitz
- “When you have insomnia, you’re never really asleep, and you’re never really awake.” — Chuck Palahniuk
- “If you can’t sleep, then get up and do something instead of lying there and worrying. It’s the worry that gets you, not the loss of sleep.” — Dale Carnegie
- “Anyone who has never experienced insomnia cannot be taken seriously as an individual.” – Simon Brass
- “The worst things: to be in bed and sleep not, to want for one who comes not, to try to please and please not.” — Proverbs
- “Insomnia is a glamorous term for thoughts you forgot to have in the day.” — Alain de Botton
- “I’m not an insomniac. It’s just that my mind is in the best position to catch the weight of all hovering possibilities the moment I lie down.” ― Joyce Rachelle
- “The last refuge of the insomniac is a sense of superiority to the sleeping world.” — Leonard Cohen
- “Nothing cures insomnia like the realization that it’s time to get up.” — Unknown
- “In its early stages, insomnia is almost an oasis in which those who have to think or suffer darkly take refuge.” – Colette
- “When the sun goes down, the insomniac dreams of having a nightmare, just to get some sleep in this too-loud world.” ― Vivian Pham
- “Insomnia has this romantic way of making the moon feel like perfect company.” ― Sabrina Benaim
- “Insomnia is an indication, not a chaos. Its like ache. You’re not going to provide a patient ache medicine without figuring out whats reasoning the pain.” — Judith Owens
- “Staring at the blue sky causes insomnia to occur in the human.” — Steven Magee
- “Insomnia is just another word for chit chat with the demons during bedtime.” — Daniel Saint
- “Insomnia is my greatest inspiration.” — Jon Stewart
- “Do you know that awesome feeling when you get into bed, fall right asleep, stay asleep all night and wake up feeling refreshed? Me neither.” — Unknown
- “I’m so exhausted and yet I feel like I’ll never sleep again.” ― Maya Banks
- “His impatience for sleep often frightened that very sleep away.” ― Hugh Howey
- “Not being able to sleep is terrible. You have the misery of having partied all night… without the satisfaction.” — Lynn Johnston
- “I’ve always envied people who sleep easily. Their brains must be cleaner, the floorboards of the skull well swept, all the little monsters closed up in a steamer trunk at the foot of the bed.” — David Benioff
- “Due to tonight’s lack of sleep, tomorrow has been canceled.” — Unknown
- “I finally got eight hours of sleep. It took me three days, but whatever.” — Unknown
- “My life has become an endless cycle of ‘I can’t sleep’ and ‘I can’t stay awake.’” — Unknown
- “How do people go to sleep? I’m afraid I’ve lost the knack.” ― Dorothy Parker
- “My mind decides to run when normal people sleep.” — Unknown
- “My day starts backwards … I wake up tired and go to bed wide awake.” — Unknown
- “The night felt very long, but it ended as all nights do.” ― Laini Taylor
- “My eyes are open but my mind is asleep.” — Unknown
- “I hate people who can go to sleep as soon as they close their eyes. Like, that takes me 4 hours, 600 position changes, and a sacrifice to the sleep gods.” — Unknown
- “Brain: I can see you’re trying to sleep, can I offer a selection of your worst memories from the last 10 years?” — Unknown
- “For there is nothing quite so terror-inducing as the loss of sleep. It creates phantoms and doubts, causes one to question one’s own abilities and judgement, and, over time, dismantles, from within, the body.” ― Charlie Huston
- “It was that sort of sleep in which you wake every hour and think to yourself that you have not been sleeping at all; you can remember dreams that are like reflections, daytime thinking slightly warped.” – Kim Stanley Robinson
- “I’m awake and I can’t sleep. The more I’m awake, the more I see, and the harder to sleep.” ― Donna Lynn Hope
- “I wonder why I don’t go to bed and go to sleep. But then it would be tomorrow, so I decide that no matter how tired, no matter how incoherent I am, I can skip on hour more of sleep and live.” — Sylvia Plath
- “The longest way must have its close – the gloomiest night will wear on to a morning.” – Harriet Beecher Stowe
- “Sleep is like the tide only this time the moon doesn’t bring it in.” ― I Need You Cas
- “How did it get so late so soon?”― Dr. Seuss
- “My nights are for overthinking. My mornings are for oversleeping.” ― Unknown
- “The night is the hardest time to be alive and 4 a.m. knows all my secrets.” — Poppy Z. Brite
- “I love the silent hour of night. For blissful dreams may then arise.” – Anne Brontë
- “I find the nights long, for I sleep but little, and think much.”― Charles Dickens
- “I like the night. Without the dark, we’d never see the stars.”― Stephenie Meyer, Twilight
- “The creak of bed springs suffering under the weight of a restless man is as lonely a sound as I know.” — Patrick deWitt
- “On the nights I can’t sleep, like that one, like so many recently, I wish I could just turn my mind off like a lamp.” ― Iain Reid
- “Nighttime is really the best time to work. All the ideas are there to be yours because everyone else is asleep.” ― Catherine O’Hara
- “Some nights are made for torture, or reflection, or the savoring of loneliness.” ― Poppy Z.Brite
- “Between the midnight and the morning: on a given day, that’s the hardest stretch of time to fill.”― Luis Joaquin M Katigbak
- “It was the possibility of darkness that made the day seem so bright.” ― Stephen King
- “I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.” – Sarah Williams
- “Night is a time of rigor, but also of mercy. There are truths which one can see only when it’s dark” ― Isaac Bashevis Singer
- “That was the only decision there was once upon a time: what to do with the night.” ― Harry Crew
- “Anything seems possible at night when the rest of the world has gone to sleep.” ― David Almond
Sweet Dreams Quotes
- “Legend says, if you can’t sleep at night, it’s because you are awake in someone else’s dream.” – Anonymous
- “Keep calm and enjoy no sleep.” — Unknown
- “A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures in the doctor’s book.” – Irish Proverb
- “Listen to the night sky; the mockingbird always sings you my lullaby.” – Jmemo
- “The day is over, it’s time for rest. Sleep well, my dear, you did your best.” – Catherine Pulsifer
- “A night full of nightmares is way better than a sleepless one.” ― Mokokoma Mokhonoana
- “Me: We need to fall asleep. Brain: No, let’s stay awake and think about every decision we made today.” – Anonymous
- “Why can I never go back to bed? Whose is the voice ringing in my head? Where is the sense in these desperate dreams? Why should I wake when I’m half past dead?”— Emilie Autumn
- “All our problems fade away at night, tomorrow we will conquer what seems insurmountable”
- “May the good memories of today lull you to sleep.” – Kate Summer
- “Good night – may you fall asleep in the arms of a dream, so beautiful, you’ll cry when you awake.”― Michael Faudet
- “Dreaming permits each and every one of us to be quietly and safely insane every night of our lives.” – William Dement
- “Before you fall asleep every day, say something positive to yourself.” – Enid Bagnold
- “Don’t fight with the pillow but lay down your head And kick every worriment out of the bed.” — Edmund Vance Cooke
- “It is better to sleep on things beforehand than lie awake about them afterward.” —Baltasar Gracian
- “There is more refreshment and stimulation in a nap, even of the briefest, than in all the alcohol ever distilled.” – Edward Lucas
- “Your future depends on your dreams, so go to sleep!” -Mesut Barazany.
- “As a well-spent day brings happy sleep, so a life well spent brings happy death.” – Leonardo da Vinci
- “I think the best way to get a good night sleep is to work hard throughout the day.” – William H. McRaven
- “There will be sleeping enough in the grave.” — Benjamin Franklin
- “A ruffled mind makes a restless pillow.” — Charlotte Bronte
- “She stared at the stars like they were pillow for her mind and in their light she could rest her heavy head.” ― Christopher Poindexter
- “Throw off your worries when you throw off your clothes at night.” – Napoleon Bonaparte
- “There is a time for many words, and there is also a time for sleep.” – Homer
- “The creak of bed springs suffering under the weight of a restless man is as lonely a sound as I know.” — Patrick deWitt
- “Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass under trees on a summer’s day, listening to the murmur of the water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is by no means a waste of time.” ― John Lubbock
- “There is virtue in work and there is virtue in rest. Use both and overlook neither.” — Alan Cohen
- “Rest and be thankful.” ― William Wordsworth
100 Can't Sleep Quotes Conclusion
Take these can’t sleep quotes and use them as motivation. If you want some more motivation we created this blog post on 50 badass quotes to inspire you.
Use them as motivation to better your evening routine and put together daily actions that will help you sleep longer and deeper.
The goal is to wake up feeling refreshed every day of our lives!
What is one thing you will do tonight that will help you sleep better?